Registration is now OPEN for our 2022-2023 program (running five Saturdays in October 2022- March 2023). APPLY NOW!
Spots are limited, and registration closes September 30th!
TEACH Outside the Box Social Justice Certificate Program and Alternative Placement
- community educators and formal educators
- Trent B.Ed Teacher Candidates (Alternative Settings Placement)
- Trent Teacher Education Stream students
- all others interested in Social Justice Education
TEACH Outside the Box is a unique opportunity for teacher candidates and community educators to participate in a series of interactive workshops and an optional community placement. At TEACH Outside the Box you will be part of a collaborative network of educators, learning alongside your peers and from community partners as you build your own social justice education toolbox!
Highlights of TEACH Outside the Box:
- Exploring critical education theories from various perspectives (global, Indigenous, anti-oppression, popular education, the arts)
- Engaging with different ways to teach (in and outside of the classroom)
- Puts theory into practice with an optional community-based alternative placement.
Format : 40 hours between workshops, meetings, and tasks
Orientation (at Trent on an evening in early October – Date TBA)
Saturday Workshops (@ Sadleir House in Peterborough from 9:30am-3:30pm – mandatory).
Workshop #1: Education for Change: The Theory and Practice of Social Justice Education (Saturday, October 15th, 2022)
Workshop #2: Indigenous Ways of Teaching and Learning
(Sat., Nov. 5th, 2022) Outdoors Location: (Camp Kawartha by Trent University)*
Workshop #3: Anti-Racism in the Classroom: Building Resilience through Uncomfortable Conversations (Sat., Jan. 14th, 2022)
Workshop #4: Queer Intersectionality in the Classroom (Saturday, February 4th, 2022)
Workshop #5: The TEACH-In – Program Consolidation and Celebration (Saturday, March 4th, 2022)
Additional Dates (TBA)
Four, one hour Reflection, Action and Dialogue Sessions (RADS) on ZOOM on a weeknight following each workshop (Dates TBA, and will be recorded).
E-mail email@example.com for more details or to answer any questions!